History of the Gymnasium
The existing gymnasium building at the NPS was constructed in 1907, presumably to replace a previous structure which proved inadequate for the growing needs of the Seminary’s student body.
The original structure was augmented with the addition of a grand portico in the 1920’s including six fluted two-story front columns, all with ornate Corinthian capitals, creating a Greek facade. Additionally the structure was wrapped in large windows with half-round lights topping the second story fenestration, and floor to ceiling windows surrounding the entire solarium space at the back of the second-story addition. Inside, the lower level contained exercise equipment areas, a bowling alley, and a swimming pool. On the second level, the gymnasium floor was an open space used for basketball with a suspended running track and observation deck to watch the contests below. With the Gymnasium’s recent rehabilitation three spaces have been adopted into four one-bedroom, 7 two-bedroom, and a single three-bedroom units. The condominium units incorporate and expose as much of the original interiors as the new use permits. Original columns remain on the lower level with exposed roof trusses on the upper level and mosaic tile work found beneath the coping of the former swimming pool which now forms the sunken living room of the three-bedroom unit.